Saturday, April 24, 2010

Chapter 22

*Don't hate me, I know it's been ages since I updated this, but in honor of Kris' birthday today, I thought I would put this up. You might even get another one tonight, if not, tomorrow : ) Enjoy !*


The last few days I haven’t spoken to Kris. He hasn’t tried to call me, and I haven’t tried to call him. Maybe right now it’s for the best that we just take a break from each other. I love the boy, but, maybe some time is all we need to get ourselves back on track.

The kiss with Max…well that could pose a problem. I will tell you that I don’t love Max. I love Kris. Yet, that one moment with Max was just something I’ve never felt before. The kiss was in the moment. It means nothing to me now.

Now, I feel like a bitch. I know how Max feels, and now I feel like I’m stringing him along. I think I need to tell him how I feel. There is nothing between us, it may hurt, but the longer I wait, the worse it will be if he falls in love with me.

“Max, we need to talk” I texted him.

“Okay, just leaving Mellon, be home soon”

I was still staying at Max’s, and nothing else had happened. Max has been busy anyways, not that I want anything to happen.

I sat on the couch as I waited to hear the door open. I was a bit jumpy. Every sound made me look at the door. I was nervous, no doubt, I wasn’t ready to see his reaction. I don’t like hurting people, who does?

“Hey” finally he came through the door with his million dollar smile.

“Hi”

“You ok?” he asked.

“I need to tell you something”

“Ok” he looked nervous. I could feel it in the pit of my stomach.

“Max…with everything that’s happened, you need to know the truth about something”

“Ok…”

“I know I kissed you the other night, after Kris left. But I know in my heart, that I don’t feel the same thing you feel for me. I love him”

He just sighed and fiddled with the backwards Penguin hat on his head, “I guess I should have expected this” he sighed.

“Max, I’m sorry”

“It’s really okay Julie, I was naïve to think you felt anything for me” he half laughed.

I sighed, feeling like such an idiot, “Max, yell at me, get mad or something, you’re killing me. I feel terrible”

“Why?”

“Because I kissed you, I totally just strung you along”

“Jules, don’t be so hard on yourself, telling you how I felt when you were in that state didn’t help”

“I guess”

“How about we just put it behind us? Keep our friendship alive. Plus, I’m sure Kris will be coming around soon”

I just smiled, “Okay, I can do that”

“Good” he smiled, “How about lunch then? Get your mind off of all of this”

“I like that idea”

How was he so understanding? Either that, or he’s just really good at hiding his anger and disappointment. I want to keep my friendship with Max intact.

We decided on the Cheesecake Factory for lunch. I ended up getting pasta, but I wasn’t even that hungry, and didn’t end up eating it all.

“You okay?” he asked as I played with the food on my plate.

“Not hungry” I simply said as the waitress set the check in front of us.

“Come on Jules, don’t let this get to you”

“It’s hard not to…I miss him”

He just sighed, “Is there anything that will get your mind off of him, even for a little bit?”

“I doubt it Max” I replied.

“You want to go home?” it was weird to refer to his place as home, but I’ve gotten so used to it.

I just nodded as he fished out his wallet from his pocket, left a tip and went to pay for the check.

“I’ll pay you back”

“No don’t worry about it” he said, “A lady should never have to pay for dinner”

I couldn’t help but smile at the stupid joke. He just laughed as we walked out to the car.

“Can I come to the game tonight?” I asked him.

I think he was caught off guard, “Well of course”

“Okay, I miss Mellon, it’s been a while since I’ve seen a game”

He just smiled, “Well it should be a good one, it’s against the Caps”

“Well I expect you to score a goal”

He just laughed, “I’ll see what I can do”

1 comment:

  1. aww. im still torn! i love max, and i love kris! i don't know! love your story, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete