Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Chapter 20

Did that just happen? Did Max Talbot just kiss me? And did I like it? All these thoughts ran through my head as I sat in my car. I was still shaking, I could barely start my car. I can’t believe he would do that, he knows how I feel, he knows I love Kris.

My head spun as I drove myself home, slowly but surely. I sat on the couch still trying to calm myself down. Max is supposed to be my friend, only my friend, that kiss we shared at his apartment meant nothing, we both knew that, it was an accident, I was vulnerable. This time, he meant it, this time I liked it, and I didn’t want to.

I turned my head as I heard footsteps and the door shut. Kris was home. I was relieved, his face was all I wanted to see right now, his arms were the only arms I wanted around me.

I stood up and I felt his arms wrap around me. We fit together perfectly, I just melted into him and sighed.

“You ok?” he asked quietly.

“I’m ok” I lied.

“Are you sure?” he asked.

I felt myself starting to cry, but I didn’t want to, because he would get it out of me eventually, and I knew he would hate me after doing that. I knew that could ruin his relationship with Max, and I didn’t want to be responsible for that.

I turned away from him and wiped my eyes, but he could see something wasn’t right.

“Julie, what’s going on?”

“I saw Max today…” I said quietly.

“And?”

“He told me…he loves me…”

I wasn’t facing him because I was scared of what he would say. I heard silence behind me and I was holding my breath until the moment he spoke.

“What did you say?” he asked.

I turned around, “I said I loved you”

“Did anything else happen?”

I didn’t want to tell him, but he’s been nothing but honest with me, so I had to.

“He kissed me…”

He was silent, he just ran his fingers through his hair and turned away from me. I had no idea what I was supposed to say, I was hoping he would say something. He finally did.

“Shit Julie…”

“I’m sorry”

“No, I’m sorry. After everything that happened before you moved out, this is all my fault…”

“Kris, it’s not your fault. If anyone is to blame here it’s me”

“I’m sorry I hurt you…”

“You’re hurting me now…”

“I’m sorry”

“Stop saying you’re sorry” I pleaded, “I get it, I forgave you, I guess you didn’t get that last night…”

“You were perfect last night” he said quietly.

“Than shut up. Because I love you, Max is my friend, I didn’t ask him to kiss me, he just did, I didn’t want him to love me, he just does, but that’s it”

I felt my phone vibrate in my back pocket but I ignored it. Yet, Kris heard it.

“You going to answer that?”

I sighed and looked at the name, Max. Of course, impeccable timing.

“I don’t want to talk to him”

“Answer your damn phone Julie”

I just sighed and flipped it open, “Hello?”

“Julie, we need to talk”

“I’m a tad busy right now Max, can we do this later?”

“Kris?”

“I’m talking to him now, yes, can I talk to you after?” before he could answer, I hung up the phone and tossed it on the couch.

“I don’t want him Kris. I just want you”

“Maybe were not right for each other. I hurt you, you hurt me”

“I’m sorry” my eyes were starting to well up with tears. He couldn’t do this to me, not now, “please…”

“You have to admit Julie, something just isn’t working if we’re going back and forth like this”

“I can’t lose you”

“You know as well as I do that we need time apart, even if it only lasts a few days…”

I swallowed a lump in my throat and grabbed my phone, “if you don’t want me here then fine…I’m gone”

I shut the door behind me and drove myself to Max’s. Where else was I supposed to go?

4 comments:

  1. oh my!! KRISTOPHER YOU NEED HIT!!!!
    Why would you let a great girl like julie to walk away for Max to swoop her up! geez.

    But anyways good chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!! Wow! amazing chapter! I don't know who I want her to be with, i love kris, but idk, im just as confused as she is. i loooooove this story, great job

    ReplyDelete
  3. whaat?! no they can't take more time apart! :(
    i really hope they figure out how much they mean to each other already! it's like they are completely oblivious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. more please! I love this story so much!

    ReplyDelete